Monday, February 16, 2009

Happy Presidents' Day!

This was the first time Mike has ever had Presidents' Day off, so we ventured out to the zoo. When in Idaho, we bought a zoo pass which we have used several times - definately enough to pay for itself. There is a list of zoos that will honor that pass across the country. When we were going through papers in preparation to move, I ran across the reciprocal zoo list. Jokingly, I said, "And I bet Honolulu is on there." And surprise, surprise - it was! So our trip was free! Even better! They have three tiger cubs that were born in September that were adorable. It was very fun to watch - I think someday I would like to have a pet tiger. I'm pretty sure that's illegal. Maybe in heaven.

On this trip and also the one before it, we learned that our GPS isn't very familiar with Hawaii yet. Our first failed attempt was trying to get to a Walmart. It sent us into the middle of a very residental area, and told us we were approaching Walmart on the left. There never has been or ever will be a Walmart there. By the time we finally did find a Walmart, we were tired and a little on the grumpy side. I miss having super Walmarts where you can get everything - including all the food you need. Even "supers" here only have basic food items. Oh well. Finding the zoo wasn't quite as bad, but it took us a round-about way that took longer than it needed to.

There are some really amazing trees here. I never knew there could be so many shades of green. It is funny because driving to Honolulu takes at least an hour so it is kind of a drive. We have tried to play "I Spy," but it doesn't really work. Everything we spy is green! But absolutely beautiful!




The hippos (that is not derogatory to my girls - there really is a hippo in that water)



"Llama Face!" Aunt Jenna and any other Johansons who enjoying quoting The Emperor's New Groove will appreciate this one. We took this picture so we could post it with that caption.



They had a really cool fish exhibit with huge, very colorful fish. You can walk all around it and then the kids can crawl through a tunnel to get to the middle to see on top and it looks like they are in the water.

3 comments:

Alan and Lynette said...

HA! I laughed for probably 5 minutes about the hippo comment...your girls, of all people...HA!
I think I've convinced Alan to let me check into the zoo passes here:) Jake's never been...

Jenna said...

I never told you how much I enjoyed getting that picture from you guys with the llama. Priceless really. Though the girls should have been making sad faces :)--next time.

Until I looked close, I thought that giraffe the girls were on was real! How cool!, I thought. I got to ride an elephant when I was little. I wish I remembered doing it--only seen pictures.

One last thing--I've only seen trees like those in the top picture on TV during Lost episodes. Which reminds me--how's it going getting me a backstage meet-n-greet with the cast when I come visit, Mike? :) Not that you guys aren't definitely a draw, but that would really seal the deal. :)

Brittney said...

What a fun zoo! that "I spy" reminds me of brother bear.. I spy something green.. your posts are so funny Trina! I loved the hippo one!!