Monday, August 10, 2009

Super Dad and the 1st Day of School

The girls started school Aug 3rd! That is crazy early! We only had 8 weeks of summer. Usually they start the last week in July, but in an attempt to make the summer longer next year they pushed the start date back a week. They took out some breaks and added them to the beginning and end of summer. So hopefully next summer won't be quite so short.

As I said in my last posts-I was in Oregon for the first week of school. Mike was Super Dad! I'm married to a good man! I'm grateful he let me go be with my family and had so much fun with the girls while I was gone. He is such a great Daddy! He was able to arrange his work schedule so that he could get the girls off to school and then be home when they got out of school. A few days he took them to work in the afternoon for awhile and others he did some work here after they were in bed. He said he gained a greater appreciation not just for me while I was gone but also for "us". We make a pretty great team!

The First Day of School is a pretty big deal at our house and the hairdresser was MIA. Most of you know I'm somewhat particular about the girls' hair. We had a few hairdo workshops before I left and it turns out that Mike isn't too bad!
I took the girls school clothes shopping for the first time this year. In past years I have been able to clearance shop and find things all summer, but since we are an hour from any stores, that doesn't really happen anymore. When we dropped Madi off, I figured it was my only chance so we headed shopping and it was SO FUN!!! We were in one store for 3 hours! It was a little (scratch that-a LOT) too long for Bryn-next time she gets to stay home with Daddy. She really did well considering, though.

I don't love shopping, but it was so fun to do with my girls. And they LOVED it! I let them pick things out (mostly without my input) and try them on-keep some, return some, pick out more things, try them on and so on. Hence the 3 hours. It was a great time to teach them about modesty and why some things (even though cute) weren't ok to wear. It was also a good opportunity to teach them about budgeting and how much things cost. They picked out their favorites and we talked about choosing something more expensive meant that you can't buy as many. Even though it is a hassle to be far away from stores, I was grateful for this fun time with my girls. I'm sure we didn't get as great of deals as I did before, but I'd trade that for the memories we made that day!

One of the things they both chose were brown silky/stretchy gaucho pants. Before we even bought them they had both decided they were going to wear them for the first day of school. They call them their "shaggy pants" (not sure where that came from). Sorry-you can't really see them in the picture-but they are super cute!


Super Dad even had brownies and milk for their after school snack.
(I'm lucky they wanted me back!)

He sent me this picture as his idea of how to do hair. Ha ha!





Check that out! He braided and everything!

We're not even talking just Plain Jane!

Some days they got a little creative even. :)

He was a little nervous doing their hair for church, but everyone said they were highly impressed!

Saturday they did a little "work fun"

Then a little "play fun"

When I was in Oregon, the girls liked to think that if they were at the beach and I was at the beach-we were on opposite edges of the same ocean and we could look towards each other and wave. I'm grateful to have such a wonderful husband who was willing to do this for me! I am continually reminded what an amazing husband and father he is! I am one lucky girl!

But next time I think everyone should just come!

4 comments:

Martinez Family said...

Good job on the hair daddy! They are SO cute!

Alan and Lynette said...

You do have a great husband! I'm impressed with the hair! Way to go Mike!! Double way-to-go-Mike for letting you come too... :)

Jenna said...

That is impressive, Mike. Dave has never attempted to do anything with my girls' hair. Maybe I should take a week or so off and see what happens, huh? He could always call you for ideas. :)

riggs family said...

I am super impressed with mike's hair abilities!!! Aaron too has to do Jenna's hair when mom's at work, but he usually sticks to pony tails. Miss you guys!!