Sunday, August 9, 2009

Family is a Beautiful Thing!

Brynlee and I got to fly back to the mainland for two reunions in August. Everyone would have come except the first reunion started on my girls 1st day of school. If it had been any other week, I would have probably had them miss, but I didn't want them to have to be new kids twice in one year.

I was going to rent a car, but my mom had a better plan. She met us in Seattle and drove us down to Portland. We got to hang out with her extra time-it was so great! Thank you, Mom! I didn't take any pictures though. :(

The reunion began in Portland at the fabulous Jensen House. I spent 1st-3rd grade in Portland while my dad was in chiropractic school and that is when we met the Jensen Family. Since we had moved away from all of our family, we quickly adopted them. They were much too young to be adopted grandparents, so we decided they could be our Aunt and Uncle. (I still refer to them as Aunt Judie and Uncle Norm.) I have so many fun childhood memories with them-and lucky for me, some great ones in adulthood too.

Unfortunately, our camera batteries were dead and I was too lazy to go buy more so I didn't take any pictures with my camera. :( Fortunately I was able to pirate some pictures that Melinda posted on her blog so I at least have a few pictures to document the trip. So any Joneses (or Bowmans) that have reunion pictures I could have-I'd love for you to email them to me. Until then, this is all I have.

We started out on the Oregon coast at a KOA campground by Fort Stevens. It was perfect! The weather was awesome-not hot or rainy. Yay! The Jensen's let Brynlee and me camp out with them in their trailer (THANK YOU!). We had a blast!

The only downside to the reunion was that Mike and the girls had to miss it. Everything we did, I wished they were there and thought about how much they would have loved whatever we were doing. Next time I think the reunion will be earlier in the summer so the whole family can come.
There are tons of bike trails so we were able to explore all over and ride down to the beach. Dale and Melinda have a training tandom bike attachment for Caloway and he requested that I ride with him. It takes some getting used to with 35-40lbs trailing behind. That was my first time riding a bike like that so we were pretty wobbly to being with. On the ride home, the final stretch was a big hill before crossing the street into the campground. By big I mean-needing to stand and pump like crazy even without extra weight in the back. So, I can barely breathe and in between breaths am encouraging Cal to pump his legs and help me. From the back I hear, "Aunt Trina, do you like red?" My response, "Yeah, (pant pant) red's great! (pant pant) Now pump your legs!" It was pretty funny! I just love him to pieces!

Grandpa, Bryn and Jake. I must say although it is the same ocean, the beaches are MUCH different than the ones I'm used to now! No swim suits for us!

Me n' Bryn - she's been a real mama's girl (at home) and so taking her to (I hate to say it) strangers didn't help that. She was pretty sad anytime anyone else tried to hold her for about 3 days. Not only was it exhausting being the only one she wanted, but it made me really sad that my family is strangers to her. I wasn't worried about Whitney and Kenna forgetting people, but it makes me sad to think it will be a few years before Bryn really knows our families.

Dale and Melinda moved to Idaho when Cal was only 6 months old and so we really got to share him. I LOVED it! Cal and I have a special relationship. We were so excited when I was prego with Bryn that now we would be able to share her too. There was a lot of family craziness when Bryn was born that didn't allow Melinda to be over to our house much and then we moved to Hawaii. So the sharing plan was foiled. Melinda spent a lot of time getting her fill of Bryn time. (And giving me a break! Thanks!)

The KOA had some playgrounds and Bryn LOVED the swings! I love that what little hair she does have is blowing in the wind-straight up! Camping with an almost walker is tricky-she didn't want to be held all the time, but I didn't want her to be down crawling around in the dirt.

Savanna and I spent a lot of time together at both reunions. On the way from Portland to the coast, she came with Grandma, Bryn and me so we could look for a baptism dress pattern and material. She was a trooper keeping Bryn entertained. She was an awesome helper with Bryn the whole week. It was fun to get to spend so much time with her.

One of the days, all the girls went to the outlet mall to shop. Lynette found this sassy hat for Bryn! So cute!

After Oregon we headed to Washington to Ensign Ranch in Cle Elum for my Grandpa Bowman's 80th birthday party. I have the best grandparents ever! I feel so blessed to have spent so much time with them as I grew up and have continued to be able to see them. I love it that my girls really know their great grandparents.

After several tearful goodbyes drawn out over two days, we were headed back home again. I'm pretty sure the girls missed Bryn more than they missed me! Mike picked us up from the airport and Bryn wouldn't even go to him. It even took some time for her to warm up to Daddy!

3 comments:

Jenna said...

This looks like such a fun trip for you and Bryn, Katrina. It is too bad that the girls and Mike had to miss it. Your family is just awesome. I'm glad you have that kind of support and love. Lucky, lucky girl! :)

Desmond Doings said...

It was so much fun to be with you and Brynlee, we had a ball. Thanks for taking the time and money to come make memories with you. I love you tons.

My Angels said...

It is defiantly hard being away from family when you have little ones. It was hard with Des and her baby not knowing me the way the boys do, and now it will be the same with Eli. Twice a year just doesn't cut it! Sounds like a fun trip, glad you were able to make it. Looking forward to seeing the baptism post!!