Saturday, March 28, 2009

Spring Break Fun

I LOVE having my girls home! We had a lot of fun together during Spring Break. We had two whole weeks and it made me excited for summer. Unfortunately, we didn't have many beach days because it has been rainy and windy. One day we tried a picnic on the beach and it was VERY windy. Anyone who knew my Mom (Peggy), might know how fond she was of windy picnics - anytime we have a windy picnic I think of her. Windy picnics on the beach go to a new level. Anytime anyone moved, sand went EVERYWHERE. It made a whole new meaning to SANDwich. I don't think we will be repeating that. (I know - no one has any sympathy for us - at least we were on the beach - so I will leave it at that.)

We pulled out some puzzles that we haven't done in awhile. I was amazed at how long and diligently the girls worked on tough puzzles. They are getting pretty good. Lucky for me they like puzzles - because I really enjoy them too.

We also found some fun hair websites and experimented with different hairdos. I'm not sure how much they loved that - but I liked it a lot.

The BYU library has huge teacher size picture books and we spent an afternoon reading them there. It was the week before finals week so I felt bad - kids are noisy in a college atmosphere, no matter how quiet they are.

Mike had Prince Kuhio Day off. (Anyone want to move to Hawaii so they can get Prince Kuhio day off too? It is a state holiday.) This coincided nicely with Spring Break so we went into Kaneohe for some errands and then stopped at Kualoa Park. This is the first beach the girls went to here, except this time they got to see it in daylight. It was a little too choppy, there wasn't a whole lot of beach and Brynlee was needing a nap, so we stopped long enough to take a few pictures and went to find another beach. In Hawaii, they aren't too hard to come by. :) The first time I visited Hawaii, I was surprised by the mountains. I guess I should have known they were mountainous - isn't that how islands are formed? Anyway -we have some pretty impressive mountains here. We are in the parking lot across the street from these mountains. The ocean is seen in the opposite direction. (see the next picture.) Pretty incredible!

This is called Chinaman's Hat. It is a little island in Kaneohe bay. Sorry the picture is so far away - if you look closely, the girls are holding up the "hat".

I'm not sure what this beach is called, but it was much more calm so we stopped to play there and wrote a message in the sand.

One day we visited the PCC. There were tons of activities for the girls to do and they loved it. Tickets there are good for three days so we even went back again and still didn't get to see everything.

They especially liked the palm tree climber in Samoa.

In Tonga, they made these cute fish out of leaves.

The Canoe Pageant was their favorite. We watched it both days. Mike even got to come during his lunch to watch with us one of the days. It is always fun to see him in the middle of the day.

8 comments:

Alan and Lynette said...

How fun! I loved the PCC...and we didn't get to make fish! LUCKY! :)

Alan and Lynette said...

I also loved the three climber! Funny and amazing! My feet hurt just watching him!!

Alan and Lynette said...

It was raining the day we went though so they didn't do the parade on the river, we got a performance in the stadium...not quite as cool, but still pretty impressive.
(That's 3, right? :))

Alan and Lynette said...

(Here's a bonus one becuase I forgot to put this in the other ones:) )
I love what good friends you are with your kids! And good job taking opportunities for making good memories...sand and all...(very puny by the way:))

Arianne said...

It sounds like you had a great spring break. Thats too bad that it was so windy for your picnic! Thats a funny story! One you will always remember!

Katy said...

Looks like you had tons of fun things to do. I'm glad things are going well!

JoMama said...

Two whole weeks for Spring break?!?!?! When do kids go to school, I wonder? :) I am glad that you were able to pack so much in. Looks like a blast.

I really hate sand myself, I sympathize with the windy picnic. I always thought the beach would be perfect if only I wasn't expected to be in a swimsuit and if I could "check" the sand upon leaving...

Jenna said...

Fun hair websites? I would love for you to send me those links. I am in such a rut right now with my girls' hair. I'm leaving their hair long until after Marianne's wedding and then I've sworn to cut them short because it's not fun to fix their hair anymore. Maybe new hairstyles would keep you from having bald nieces. :)