Sunday, March 22, 2009

Whale Watching

We saw whales! (I wish I could say that was my picture, but it isn't - That is about what we saw - just a lot farther away.) Thanks to some great coaching from my mom on the way up to the Heiau (ancient Hawaiian temple) we were able to see some. I wouldn't have known what I was seeing if she hadn't told us. We were up on our perch for about 20 minutes, but only the middle 10 did we see anything. And in that 10 minutes we saw about a dozen different blows. At first you see a little spray and then a black bump come up out of the water. I wish we had had binoculars, but there's always next time. We only saw one big splash I am guessing was a tail or an actual jump. Whale watching season begins in November and goes through May, so we were excited to see them on our first trip.



I didn't take the time to photo-shop out the power lines - this picture is overlooking Sharks Cove. The whales we saw were in between the right two power lines.



When we got there it was misty raining while the sun shined and made a beautiful rainbow. I love that!



Overlooking Waimea Bay - notice how still the water is. In all my 6 weeks of being here I have never seen the ocean this still. It was very strange, but beautiful!





Again - showing the stillness of the water. We live in a beautiful world!

5 comments:

Desmond Doings said...

I love all of your blogging. We are definitely going to have to come when the whales are there. I think the kids would love that. By the way we miss you too.

The Burnetts said...

Katrina- it is a beautiful world we live in. I hope one day to visit Hawaii. It looks so beautiful. Hope your settled in and enjoying your new home.

riggs family said...

WOW, What a beautiful place!! Whale watching sounds perfect to me, esp in the winter!! DId I mention it snowed here today. evidently ms. spring has not informed mr. winter that it's time to go. What a tuff cookie witney is, i'm pretty impressed with those fingers!!

Alan and Lynette said...

That's AWESOME! And what luck! Spying whales on your first time out:) Good times!! And those pictures are beautiful...even with the power lines!

Arianne said...

I love all of your Hawaii pictures! How fun that you got to see some whales!

Your pictures of Waimea Bay brought back memories. It was one of our favorite places! If you are looking at the ocean, go left as far as you can (down by where they jump off that cliff) there is the most beautiful little cove. We saw our first Sea Turtle there. It's a great place to swim.