Tuesday, March 17, 2009

OOWWIIIIEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Mike thinks these pictures are a little too graphic for the blog, but some of you want to see them. (If you can guess, he hasn't been the nurse - he's grateful that I haven't minded.) If you have a weak stomach, you may want to skip these pictures and be glad I didn't put the pictures we took that night in the ER. My parents are the only ones who have seen those - I suppose if you really want to see them, we can send them on a request basis.

These were taken February 27 (1 week +1 day after) We had to wait that long until they looked ok enough to blog. The black on her middle finger is the bone poking up out of the skin.




After her first follow-up visit 10 days after the accident, the doctor determined he needed to operate to trim back the exposed bone on her middle finger. He was hoping the tissue would grow back, but no luck.



March 11 - Surgery Day - Before

She rode like this to the operating room on her belly with her head at the foot of the bed, a princess on her magic carpet. Going against the grain. The nurses didn't care - they figured she might as well have fun. It made everyone we passed in the hall smile.


After Surgery - the first after picture she wasn't really smiling and I told her that we couldn't leave until she gave me a good smile. She perked right up.

These last three were taken March 16th (3 1/2 weeks post accident - 5 days after surgery)









Making the best of having to have her fingers wrapped - we painted the bandages too! :) I have been so proud of Whitney. She has kept a good attitude and been a real trouper through it all. Even when she has had to keep them covered and not been allowed to do anything (bike riding, PE, recess, etc) that could bump them. She hasn't complained much - even when she has had to cover them to go to the beach and not use her hand. (I'm sure you're all thinking - I would take covering my hand if I could go to the beach!) To begin with, changing the dressings was pretty traumatic, but after a few weeks - she was pulling it off herself. It was a week or more before she would even look at them though.

We are counting our blessings - it could have been so much worse. When it tipped over, she said she fell back and hit her head. We're so glad it only smashed two fingers on her left hand instead of her hand, arm, chest or head. Anytime she has needed the use of two hands at school there have been 6 pairs ready and willing. Many people from BYUH and our ward have been so kind and concerned. It has made this challenge manageable.

2 comments:

Five Bloomin' Beauties said...

It's been fun to have you comment on our blog! I wish the sand fun we were having was more like yours, at the beach! Oh well, atleast the weather is getting warmer! Okay so these pictures of the hammered fingers are pretty nasty! I'm glad she made it through okay! Good luck with the rest of the healing process!

JoMama said...

I had no idea it was that bad... should've known when you said she wanted to be like you! I can't imagine the panic on the day of the incident. I find it humorous that Mike is the 'pansy' when it comes to those sorts of things - so is Eric (he doesn't do vomit, blood, poo... he has a weak tummy). I hope that it is healing nicely and that she is doing well.

Brynlee's snugglie is too cute! Bitty has one too and she chews on it as well. Happy Bday to Kenna! I hope all is well. :)