Sunday, September 6, 2009

Happy Birthday Whitney!

Can Whitney really be eight?! When did that happen?! She is such a blessing to our family! Thoughful, Kind, Happy, Helpful, Smart and Awesome Big Sister are all words that describe our "Dub".

Whitney has been asking to get her ears pierced for about 2 years now. In discussing with Mike when to let the girls get their ears pierced, we decided that 8 was a good age. I didn't want Whitney to worry about it so I didn't tell her. (That's a trick my Mom used when she took me to get my ears pierced. I still remember the day she picked me up from school and took me to get them pierced.) Whitney's birthday fell on Labor Day this year so we went into town just for "fun". We stopped by the mall and went into Claire's. As soon as we walked in, she noticed the ear piercing sign and she said, "Mom, it looks like I can get my ears pierced here." I told her that that was why we had come. She was SO excited!
I told her that if we got her ears pierced, that was her present from us and we wouldn't get her anything else. She decided that was really what she wanted. We chose the earrings and when it came time to mark her ears she started getting very nervous. There was only one person working right then and I was worried that if she got one done, she wouldn't want to get the other one. Luckily once they were marked and ready another girl came off her break and they were able to do them at the same time. She wanted Mike's phone to distract her so she was watching Word Girl. As soon as they were done she got all worked up and I was waiting for the tears. A huge smile spread across her face and she said, "Can I see them?!" I wish I had gotten it on video, but I was too worried about keeping her still. It was priceless! I hope she remembers that day with me, like I remember my day with my mom.

All smiles with sparkly ears!

Our friends, the Kimballs, and my cousin Karenna came over for cake and ice-cream to end the day.

1 comments:

Devine Family said...

My goodness, eight years old!! Time flies, she is beautiful!