Friday, July 24, 2009

Madi's Visit

Once upon a time, this "little" girl was 6 months old and I began babysitting her (I was 12). I loved it! Babysitting full-time in the summers and occasionally through the school year. Betty, Madi's mom, was like another mom to me and we became really good friends. They were my favorite family to babysit. Before my family moved to Montana, when Madi was three, our house sold but the business hadn't yet, so I moved in with her family. Madi and I shared a room and I often brought her along with me: to HS sporting events, the park, even on a few dates. It was an emotional day for both of us when I moved my things out of her room. She asked where I was going and I reminded her that I was moving to Montana. With tears in her little eyes she said, "But Trina, I don't want you to move far, far away!" It broke my heart!

Her family came to MT for my High School graduation. She was the honorary flower girl at my wedding, since she couldn't go in the temple. She had a little matching bouquet and everything. I tried to upload a few pictures, but couldn't figure out our scanner. (I guess I'm not 2% smarter than it!) Because of her, I always wanted to name one of my girls Madison. Plans changed with my new last name, but Kenna and Madi share their middle name.

This summer we were so lucky to have her come stay with us for 12 days in Hawaii! She’s changed a little since then. I didn’t even recognize her at the airport. It was fabulous having her here! We laughed a lot, had some great talks and she was a huge help! The girls LOVED having her here! And so did I!

Straight from the airport we took Madi to the authentic Hawaiian Costco parking lot. I told Betty that I didn't know if I was going to let her go back home-Costco was so much faster and less stressful because Madison entertained the girls. Then when we were standing in line and one of my girls needed to go to the bathroom "right then!", Madi took them. I need to adopt a teenager, I guess.

Had to stop at the Dole Plantation

This picture doesn't show the bark very well, but it looks painted. I don't know what kind of tree it is, but they look like they are out of Alice in Wonderland or something fairytale-ish..

We tried to take the Ha'aula Loop hike but after about 5 minutes and 15 mosquito bites each, we decided going to the beach was a better option. Maybe next time.


Our Sea Turtle-or Sand Turtle

Movie night!

One of our many hair fixin' days-it was great to have an extra set of hands! Yet another reason to keep her! She has three brothers and they don't like her to fix their hair. I think she liked having three little sisters!

Heiau above Waimea

One of the many things the girls loved doing with Madi

You can't see the binki, but Brynlee thought it was so funny to suck on her binki and then share it with Madi-it was so cute! While she was here, Madison tried and tried to get Bryn to say her name-I guess she'll have to come back next summer. I'm sure she'll be able to say it by then.

Gorgeous sunset around the corner from our house.

PCC Day

Makapu'u Point-I've always wanted to explore here, but wanted to wait until we had someone to explore with. It was absolutely gorgeous! It was CRAZY windy-check out our hair!

The lighthouse at the top

Scattered along the hike are lots of these cement bunkers, I assume built for during the war. We thought this would be a funny picture. We laughed a lot on this hike. You never know what you might leave behind if you're ever being chased by a bear! Ha ha!

Bryn was worn out! She has started not liking to admit she is tired by laying back so instead she will just lay her head on the front bar-she's adorable!

Pearl Harbor

I have this fabulous wrap for Brynlee that Madison thought was pretty funny. It is 5 yards long and 20" wide. The first time she was unfolding it and it kept going, and going, and going-she couldn't figure out what it was. Mike tied her up while waiting in line for the Pearl Harbor movie to start.

Mike took this neat picture of the American Flag that flies over the USS Arizona.

There are some of the coolest trees and plants here. At this beach we stopped to do a long swim. Madi and I swam out a ways, until she was sure that some sea creature was going to attack her and we turned back. Once again-we laughed a lot. It's a good thing we didn't drown! Swimming in waves and laughing is not as easy as you might think. I think we swallowed a gallon of salt water each!

Out for a Sunday Stroll-our beautiful Laie Temple

Orange Julius Mustaches

The day Madi flew out, she took the girls for a bike ride/roller blade outing up to the temple and back-they loved doing anything with her!

Aloha, Madison! Come again someday soon! We love you!

2 comments:

Kevin said...

She looks a TON like Betty! crazy to see pictures of her when she's not a 4 year old!

The Burnetts said...

I think that is great Madison came out to see you and spend time with your family.
She is a beautiful young lady and looks so much like her momma!
My daughter, Lauren and her used to play together. They recently found each other on FB.
Good friends are friends for a lifetime!