Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Last Minute Hawaii Trip

We got home from Thanksgiving on Sunday evening. Monday night (Dec 1) BYU Hawaii called and wanted us to come out for an interview that Thursday, so we had 2 days to pack and make plans for Whitney and Kenna. Our trip was anything but relaxing and hanging out on the beach. But it wasn't intended to be a vacation. Mike met with about everyone on campus - he spent most of his time there. We have a family from our ward in Idaho that took a job there 2 1/2 years ago, so I got to spend time with them and learn about how it was to live in Hawaii while Mike was interviewing. We were able to spend some time at some campus events and that was neat. There is a great spirit on campus - it reminded me of the spirit at Ricks. We also got to go to the Polynesian Cultural Center and that was incredible! We spent from about 1-9:30 there and still only saw about half. The night show was amazing! I am sure we will go back again.

Our friends took me past several beaches. One of them was Shark's Cove - I am excited to snorkel there. I have only been snorkeling once and didn't go long enough to really get the hang of it. Believe it or not - you shouldn't be able to breathe under the water - I had a hard time convincing myself that I actually could. Apparently my middle name isn't Ariel. I didn't even get to enjoy the sting rays much because I was having such a hard time with the breathing, so I am excited to try again.

We did the night flight home on Monday and got home Tues at noon. My family started showing up 24 hours later (all 25 of them) and then we had company until Monday at noon. That doesn't lend well to being able to talk to Mike much and make a major life decision. Then less than a week after they left we headed to Washington for Christmas. See why I haven't posted?!






My lei was so fragrant - the next day when I was straightening my hair, I could still smell the flowers. (By the way - I might as well kiss straight hair goodbye! Humidity and my hair being straight doesn't happen.)


Eating our $7 salad at our condo at Turtle Bay.



The Polynesian Cultural Center




No I didn't have an accident - Brynlee did. It just happened to be in a rather unfortunate spot. Believe it or not - the extra outfit I packed for Bryn wouldn't fit me. An extra one for me doesn't quite fit in the diaper bag. Luckily it was warm and dried fast.


She thought it was pretty funny. It's a good thing she's cute!!!






The Laie Temple. Unfortunately, it is closed for 18 months for renovation. But we will get to be a part of the open house and rededication, which will be neat and Whitney will be old enough to participate.






No time to edit me out - but I thought that this would look cute.




2 comments:

Brittney said...

I love how the flower on Bryn's head is HUGE!! So cute!

Alan and Lynette said...

Frizzy hair or no, you are lookin' fabulous, Friend:)
I also adore that picture of Bryn on the beach:)
Good luck to Mike on the surfing prep...train big, train hard...and...hang 10? :)